Sunday, September 22, 2013

31 Day Challenge: Day 22 - Inspired By A Song - Lady Gaga's Applause

I've had this idea in my head ever since I started the challenge, so I knew exactly what I wanted to do today. Last night I watched the film clip to Applause and took screenshots of parts I wanted to replicate or what I thought might be easy to put on my nails. So I'll be showing the screenshots from the video that I based my nails on as well, so it's easier to understand. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about them, they looked better in my head but I think I executed it as best I could.


The thumb, middle, and ring fingers were inspired by Gaga's makeup:

And the index and pinky fingers were inspired by this:

I used the watercolour technique of dabbing on some nail polish, dipping a brush into acetone and then dabbing the blob of nail polish around the nail, for all the nails. But for the make up inspired nails I wanted to try and replicate the placement of the makeup on her face across two nails. The darker blue was the hardest part as I had to try swoop it down without covering too much of the nail. For the other two fingers I used to tape to try get the shape of the purple light/smoke (?) that surrounds her. I had a bit of trouble with lifting when I pulled the tape off but it was nothing I couldn't fix with a bit of extra polish and a top coat to smooth things out.

As for colours, this is what I used:
White base: three coats of My Boyfriend Scales Walls - O.P.I
Teal: Let's Get Lost - Essence, Colour & Go
Dark Blue: Royal - Revlon
Orange: Sun Kissed - Sally Hansen
Yellow: Yellow Mellow - Sally Hansen
Light Purple: Grapetini - Savvy by DB
Darker Purple: No. 16 - Miki (this doesn't show up that well but it accounts for the small bits of red glitter, which I didn't mean to happen but it turned out okay anyway).

So there's my 'Inspired By A Song' mani. Tomorrow is 'Inspired By A Movie' and I have zero ideas! Hope everyone has had/is having a good weekend!

Ps after yesterday I realised my nails were two uneven from some breaks, so I had to file them down and make them round, not sure if I like this shape better than square though.

2 comments:

I read and appreciate everybody's comments even if I sometimes don't reply to them Xx